https://grand-master-language.blogspot.com/ GRAND MASTER LANGUAGE: PERSONAL PRONOUNS

Sunday

PERSONAL PRONOUNS

PRONOUN

Pronoun is a word used instead of and to indicate a noun already mentioned or known, to avoid repetition (e.g. this, he, you, I, we).

PERSONAL PRONOUNS

NOMINATIVE

POSSESSIVE

OBJECTIVE

 

I

My

Me

First Person

 

We

Our

Us

 

You

Thou

Your

Thy

You

Thee

 

Second Person

 

He

His

Him

Third Person

 

She

Her

Her

It

Its

It

They

Their

Them

A Personal pronouns have the same number and gender as the noun for which they stand; as:-

1_The boy has failed; he did not work hard.           

2_The girl has passed; she worked hard.                 

3 _Call the boys here; they are my students.

4_I have six flowers; they are all roses.                   

B I, he, she, we, they have the form me, him, her,  us, them in objective case. Don’t use I for me when the personal pronoun is connected by a conjunction (and, or) with another word in objective case; as :

1 These books are for you and me. (not—I)           

2 He invited my sister and me to dinner.

C You should always write/speak: -

1 _You and I (not, I and you) must work together.

2_You and he (not, he and you) must go together.

3_Surinder and I (not, I and Surinder) are friends.

4_He and I (not, I and he) can never be friends.

5_You and he and I can never get on together.

6_You and She and I must work together.

7_You and Rubi and I are old school friends.

Correct Sequence

2 - 3 - 1

2 - 3 - x

2 - x - 1

x - 3 - 1

D You always write/speak: -

1_Between you and me.

2_Between Surinder and me.

3_Between him and me 

4_Between Rubi and me.

5_Between them and us.

6_Between her and me.

E With an intransitive verb, a pronoun after than is generally in object form. Especially when the pronoun is followed by all.

1_He is several years older than me/ than I am.   

2_He can run faster than me/ than I can.                 

3_He is wiser than us all.                                   

F With an intransitive verb, the form of a pronoun after than depends upon the meaning of the entire sentence; as :-

1_I know you better than he (does). (i.e. than he knows you)

2_I know you better than him. (i.e. than I know him)

3_I like her no better than he. (i.e. than he likes her)

4_I like her no better than him. (i.e. than I like him)

5_You hate her as much as I. (i.e. as much as I hate her)

6_You hate her as much as me. (i.e. as much as you hate me)

G The object form of the pronoun is used in the speech when there is no ambiguity; as :

1_At your age, you can’t expect to work as hard as me. (i.e. as I do)

H Observe personal pronouns in the following examples:

1_Who is there? It is me.          

2_It was him. It is her.    

3_It may have been him.           

4_It was they that did this.

5_If I were him, I would not do it.

6_It was we that said so.



No comments:

Post a Comment

MY BOOKS ON LANGUAGE