https://grand-master-language.blogspot.com/ GRAND MASTER LANGUAGE: TENSES IN CONDITIONAL SENTENCES

Monday

TENSES IN CONDITIONAL SENTENCES

 


Conditional sentences are statements discussing known factors or hypothetical situations and their consequences. There are three kinds of conditions:

1. Open condition,

2. Rejected condition,

3. Imaginary condition.

1.  Open condition:- A condition which may or may not be fulfilled; as:-

a.  What shall we do if it rains?

b.  I shall take an umbrella in case it rains.

c.  We shall go provided the weather is fine.

d.  He will not get there in time unless he hurries.

e.  If it rains, the match will not be played.

f.   If I have time, I shall visit the zoo.

2.  Rejected condition:- A condition which might have been fulfilled, but is not; as:-

a.  If I were not so busy, I would go to the station with you.

b.  If I had time, I should visit the zoo.

c.  She would come if she had time.

d.  If I had not been so busy, I would have gone to the station with you.

e.  If I had had time, I should have visited the zoo.

f. If she had worked harder, she would have passed the examination.

3.  Imaginary condition:- One which could not be true; as:-

a.  If I were a bird, I would fly.

b.  If I were you, I should post that letter at the main post office.

c.  If I were a millionaire, I would help the poor.

d.  What would you do if you were attacked by a dacoit?

e.  I should not have tolerated her rudeness, if I had been you.

f.  What would you have done if you had been attacked by a dacoit?

MISCELLANEOUS EXAMPLES OF CONDITIONS

1.  Inversion of subject and finite verb:-

a.  Were she to see you, she would be surprised.

b.  Were I alone, I should be afraid to go.

c.  Were she living in our neighbourhood, I should see her more often.

d.  Had I known, I should never have gone there.

e.  Had I taken her temperature, I should have known that she had fever.

f.   If he were a year younger, he would be eligible for the post.

2.  Conditions implying fortuitous circumstances:-

a.  If you should meet him, tell him all about it.

b.  Should you meet him tomorrow, would you mind telling him all about it?

c.  If I should find the pen, I will let you have it.

d.  Should I find the pen, I will let you have it.

f.   If you had not helped me in time, I would have been looted by the dacoits.

g.  Had you helped me in time, I would have been looted by the dacoits.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY BOOKS ON LANGUAGE